Kim's journey

Kim was diagnosed last Thursday, September 16, 2010 with ovarian cancer. As Kim's Family, Friends, Neighbors and Fans - we have started this blog to help share information, updates, support, and love with each other during her next few months of surgery, treatment and healing. We will try to update it whenever we receive information. Please feel free to leave a comment expressing your support, love, and encouragement anytime - as that is how we will all grow and strengthen each other - especially Kim and her family. We love you Kim, and our faith, prayers, and total support and dedication are with you as you embark on this "Journey"!







Friday, November 5, 2010

I look like a Marine!

I've had a very good week--gaining strength and stamina and the eating is getting easier. The hair began falling out on Wednesday and my scalp became very tender. I tried styling my hair today after showering, but I couldn't do anything with it and the blow dryer kept blowing hair all over my bathroom. Everywhere I went I was shedding hair--yuck! My friend, Margaret, came to help me by mopping the bathroom floors and vacuuming and I couldn't stand the thought of having my floors all cleaned just to have to turn around tomorrow and have hair all over them again. So, when she was done working, we headed to town to the wig place to have Melanie shave the rest of it off. I cried a little bit while it was being shaved, but it's over and done. My head is all stubbly now and I look like a Marine, but at least I'll be able to eat without finding hair in my food. All the boys in my family tell me the wig looks great--but what else are they going to say at this point? I am wondering what it's going to be like when it all comes growing back in. Unfortunately, I think there will be alot of gray, but I'm hoping that at least it will come back in thick and curly instead of thin and straight. The chemo has done plenty of other things to my body--I think it ought to be able to at least do that for me too!
Heavenly Father has been more than merciful with me this week--I have felt pretty good and have been kept busy with good things all week long. My Dad is on the mend, and if all goes well, he will continue healing and Mom will be back with us when I have my next chemo treatment on Monday. I go to bed each night exhausted and thankful for the day and the many blessings I have been given--I have more than I deserve.--Love always, Kim

11 comments:

  1. I am just so uplifted by your words, your amazing personalty radiates more beauty then any head of hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim I loved having you as a Young Women Leader. You are an amazing laday! Thank you for all you have done for me and my family! Let me know if there is anything my family or I can do for you. You and your family are in our prayers. Love you, Kelsey Gibson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, Now my girls pray for you to grow hair back and get better soon. I almost laughed the first time they said it; it was so sweet!!! But, they were serious and asked a lot of questions with how you are doing and if you will lose your hair -- now they know! I hope all is well and stay away from any "bugs"! We love you! Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Kim, I bet the guys at home are really thinking that you do look groovy, We are thinking of you every day and our prayers are with you. Thank-you for remembering Spencer, we had a fun day. I will send you a picture of him when I can get one from him. He goes into the MTC on Wednesday......mixed feelings. We love you. Rick and Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim,

    Love your sense of humor! I'm pretty sure your 'boys at home' are not lying. I remember when another common friend showed up with her wig...it looked great! Fortunately, we (girls) know that regardless of what we do or is done to our hair, it will grow back. It's just a matter of time. Otherwise, we wouldn't do all the crazy things we do. :-)

    Hoping to see you today.

    You are in all our family prayers and I'm sure in all our private prayers as well. I know you're always in my heart!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kjirstin and Darin Mich'lNovember 7, 2010 at 2:40 PM

    You are such an inspiration for all of us. GI Kim! Now all you need is some camo- you are fighting this cancer battle!! Go girl! So good to read the blog and to know that you are feeling good and taking each day as it comes with a great attitude. We love ya, and think and pray for you everyday. Lots of love from your neighbors-- The Mich'ls

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kim!

    You really have the drive and cheer under all circumstances that have made you who you are! My (Janet's) dad is now at the Huntsman and it is amazing what tender full moments come as the result of cancer. The focus is on life! You are in our hearts this season (and WHAT a Thanksgiving it will be).

    Much affection,

    Janet (Muir) and David (Suehsdorf)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim I'm so thankful that you are finally eating better. You are an inspiration to all of us as you battle this disease. My prayers are still with you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just missed you at the hospital. I was just getting out when you were going in for your surgery. You were 1 floor above me. Actually, I escaped from the hospital. I told the nurse on a friday morning that I was leaving today. She laughed. I said, no, your not listening to me, I'm leaving here today one way or another. I said I will call a cab if I have to. Her eyes got big and she called the head nurse and I explained that I have no insurance and I can't afford to be there, so they will just have to let me heal at home. It worked and I got out that afternoon. They were driving me crazy, coming by with their scanners (going cha-ching) at all hours of the night. I never did get a good nights sleep in there.
    Kim, I just want you to know that I am thinking of you every day and praying for your recovery. I've read your postings and I can see that you have a positive attitude. This is very important in the healing process and I know that you will continue with that, because that is who you are. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
    Love,
    Uncle Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim, As I read what you post I am so moved by your strength. You are amazing! We pray for you every night. We have complete faith in the power of prayer and will continue to keep praying for you. Now, I'm going to go clean my sticky kitchen floor and not grumble about it-thanks for your inspiration about the little things in life and the really big things too.
    Love you my friend!
    Kelly Hewlett

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Kimmy-

    I am soooo proud of you. I could never could do what you are doing--you are such a wonderful example. I wish I lived closer so I could come help-sorry! You have such a supportive family and great frielnds, so that makes me feel good. Keep on truckin' and know that we love you and pray for you nightly-

    Love Donny and Tina

    ReplyDelete