Kim's journey

Kim was diagnosed last Thursday, September 16, 2010 with ovarian cancer. As Kim's Family, Friends, Neighbors and Fans - we have started this blog to help share information, updates, support, and love with each other during her next few months of surgery, treatment and healing. We will try to update it whenever we receive information. Please feel free to leave a comment expressing your support, love, and encouragement anytime - as that is how we will all grow and strengthen each other - especially Kim and her family. We love you Kim, and our faith, prayers, and total support and dedication are with you as you embark on this "Journey"!







Saturday, October 22, 2011















Life is pretty good right now. I started my 2nd "round" of chemo last Monday, & am feeling almost normal this morning. This time around, a "round" of chemo consists of 2 treatments spaced 7 days apart, & then a week off--so it's 3 weeks total. After my treatment on Monday, they sent me over to LDS Hospital to have my right chest cavity drained again--2.5 liters this time! I still have a cough, but the fluids seem to not be building up so far--I am able to still breathe easily & even walked around my block yesterday (albeit slowly!) The third & fourth day after the treatments seem to be the worst. I am just really headachy, nauseaous & my torso, abdomen, kidneys, etc. just hurt. When that happens, I just tell myself that the chemo must be working & killing all those nasty cancer cells. Other than that, I'm just incredibly tired--much more tired than I remember being last year. I end up falling asleep often during the day & take a few cat naps, which is totally unusual for me! They did my CA-125 test this last Monday, & although the numbers didn't go down (in fact, they went up a bit) they didn't go up as much as they had in the two weeks previous to my starting chemo. Dr. Prystas is hoping that the first round of chemo has just stabilized things, & that we'll see the numbers start to go down in the coming weeks. If they don't begin going down, she may consider changing the chemo drug that I'm receiving.

I am--once again--amazed at the love & support of such good people. This has been such a long year, & I am sure that everyone must be tired of thinking of me, praying for me, & serving me & my family. I know that I have days where I'm sooo sick of myself--of being sick, & feeling like I'm the center of attention. There are times when I wish so much that I could just go back to being the "old" me. But, that's not possible--our entire purpose in being here is to learn, grow & progress--to change & develop a "new" heart that is more like our Heavenly Father & Savior's. I am grateful for the opportunities I've had this past year to grow & stretch spiritually. I just hope that I am becoming what They see I can become, & that I can in some way serve others as I have been so lovingly served by you.

Here are some of the pictures from a couple of weeks ago. Camille Garrison did the photos--I think she's awesome!! She was wonderful to work with, & I'm glad they've turned out so well. Love always, Kim









4 comments:

  1. Kim you look fantastic!! and-so does your great family. So glad to see those beautiful photos!! Thanks so much for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures!!! And love your hair!! I wish mine would have came back in as cute as yours!! Know our thoughts and prayers are with you always!! Thanks for keeping us up to date on everything!!
    Love ya!!
    Kofords

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love the pictures!! Thanks for sharing...and please remember that we will never be tired of praying for you!! You are incredible and we feel so lucky to have you as our friend.

    Love
    The Hunsakers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, you have such a beautiful family; the photos look great! By the way, we will NEVER tire of thinking about you and praying for you!

    Lisa & Family :)

    ReplyDelete