Kim's journey

Kim was diagnosed last Thursday, September 16, 2010 with ovarian cancer. As Kim's Family, Friends, Neighbors and Fans - we have started this blog to help share information, updates, support, and love with each other during her next few months of surgery, treatment and healing. We will try to update it whenever we receive information. Please feel free to leave a comment expressing your support, love, and encouragement anytime - as that is how we will all grow and strengthen each other - especially Kim and her family. We love you Kim, and our faith, prayers, and total support and dedication are with you as you embark on this "Journey"!

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Back Home

We got home from our trip Tuesday morning around 2am, and I've been trying all week to catch up. It was a fabulous trip! We took the red-eye to Orlando on April 1st and then met up with Vern's sister, Rosie, and her family later that afternoon. My sister, Julie, and her family arrived in the early morning hours on Sunday. There were 20 of us altogether--with 13 kids--and we rented a house for the first 6 nights of our trip. We spent each day either playing in Universal Studios or the Wet'nWild water park. The weather was around 90 degrees each day, and the parks were crowded, but we had a great time! The majority of us were most excited to spend time in "Harry Potter World" at Universal Studios, and we spent quite alot of time there wandering the street & shops, drinking butterbeer and riding the rides. If you're a Harry Potter fan, you'll feel like you've just been transported to Hogsmeade & Hogwarts--Jarett & Braedon especially loved it! Then, we went to Port Canaveral and got on a little 3-night cruise to the Bahamas. That was the perfect way to end the trip. I was pretty exhausted by that time, and it was good to have the opportunity to just relax on the ship and let the kids just go. The boys loved having the freedom to come and go, and eat whenever and whatever they wanted without having me nagging at them. I think they ate at least 6 ice cream cones a day and countless pieces of pizza (even in their beds at midnight!) We have all marveled at how good the kids were! They rarely got enough sleep, and as my brother-in-law, Jeff, put it: "Trying to get this many people any place is like trying to herd cats!", but they all got along the entire trip! They never fought with each other, got whiny, or hurt each other's feelings at any time. This trip was just what my family and I needed at this time, and we are so grateful to Nana, the Leishman's and the Hatch's for making it all work and giving us such a wonderful time!

On Tuesday, I had to go into McKay-Dee for a chest x-ray to check the fluid in my chest cavity and have blood taken for the CA-125 test. I was so surprised to hear from Dr. Prystas' office on Wednesday that my levels had gone from 91 to 79. Since they had only been able to give me the one chemo medication on that last treatment instead of the two I normally received, I was not expecting it to go down at all. In fact, I was kind of worried that it might have even gone up--I was so relieved to hear that the chemo was still working. While I have loved not feeling sick the last couple of weeks, and am feeling my strength coming back and some hair growing back in (holy cow--there is so much gray!), I can see that I might have kind of a hard time when the Dr.'s finally tell me we're done with treatments. As long as they're giving you the drugs, you feel like you're actively doing something to kill the cancer cells. I think the waiting is going to be hard. I'm already kind of nervous that I'm four weeks out from my last treatment. My surgery is scheduled for May 4th, and in the back of my mind is this fear that somehow the cancer cells are going to get active and do something crazy while we're waiting for my body to heal. This is where I really get to exercise my faith in the fact that Heavenly Father definitely does have a plan and a purpose in all this for me. I am not in control--He is. And I know that He has something better in store for me than I would ever choose for myself. I certainly would never have chosen to have cancer and go through what I'm going through, but each day I see blessings that I would have missed out on without this experience. I keep telling myself--it's all about perspective! Thank you again for your continued prayers and support. Love, Kim


  1. I love reading your entries and my favorite is hearing good news! I am always asking my Mother in-law how you're doing! I am just so grateful I know about this blog to get updates! We are often thinking and praying daily for you & your family. Perhaps one thing that is to come out of this is the impact you are having on so many of us, your strength in faith, while enduring life’s trials with such grace!

  2. I am so glad you were able to go on vacation and enjoy some time with your family. You so deserved it. We will continue to pray for your success in all this cancer crap and especially for your surgery. We love you!!

    Becky Hunsaker

  3. How wonderful that you were able to get away and just relax and play a bit! I'm glad that you had a good time and that your results came back lower than you expected. What happy news! Please know that you continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

    Lisa, Ken, & Kids :)

  4. Kim, Heidi told me about your blog and I just wanted to let you know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, and will continue to be.
    The Hansens