Kim's journey

Kim was diagnosed last Thursday, September 16, 2010 with ovarian cancer. As Kim's Family, Friends, Neighbors and Fans - we have started this blog to help share information, updates, support, and love with each other during her next few months of surgery, treatment and healing. We will try to update it whenever we receive information. Please feel free to leave a comment expressing your support, love, and encouragement anytime - as that is how we will all grow and strengthen each other - especially Kim and her family. We love you Kim, and our faith, prayers, and total support and dedication are with you as you embark on this "Journey"!







Friday, October 22, 2010

Prayers Answered

I am so grateful for the many prayers offered on my behalf this week--especially those asking for the chemo to work quickly on the fluids in my lungs so that I might not have to go back on oxygen. I know that our Father in Heaven is merciful, kind and quick to answer the prayers of the faithful. I feel as if I have been part of a miracle this week, as I have not had oxygen since I left the hospital on Monday. The rest of the chemo side effects are difficult to describe. It's not been horrifically awful, but this week has also not been easy, and if I had been unable to breathe everything would have been so much more difficult. Thank you for your faith and prayers on my behalf. Mom says she sees me getting a little stronger each day. It's hard for me to see that yet--I still feel that each day is a little bit of a roller coaster. I took a ride with Mom over to the Valley Market yesterday and had a couple of friends come out to the car to say "hello". It was wonderful to be out and see my friends. I can hardly wait until I'm able to get out and about more--hopefully, next week! Once we got home, though, I was so tired and nauseated and a little frustrated with my progress--I spent most of the rest of the day in bed. Each day seems to bring new challenges and blessings. I am so grateful for the blessings, and need to remember that they are coming because of the challenges--I know there must be "opposition in all things". I am so grateful for the Atonement of my Savior, and His kindness in blessing me through each of you--your thoughts, prayers, messages and acts of Christlike service. At the risk of being greedy, as you pray, would you specifically ask Heavenly Father to bless me that my appetite may return and that I would be able to eat more easily? This has been one of the most bizarre side effects of my surgery and chemo. Those of you who know me well, know how much I love to eat and this is becoming a very large challenge. I have lost 18 lbs. since I left the hospital (a large part of this has been fluid retention), but I cannot afford to lose any more weight if I am going to continue with chemo over the next 4 1/2 months. I love you and am grateful for the blessings being bestowed on me and my family.--Kim

9 comments:

  1. Kim, It's nice to hear you are a bit stronger and I want you to know you are in my thoughts and Prayers always.
    It's funny how when these things happen to us we think about our brother Jesus Christ and the pain he suffered in the Garden... The Atonement. My experience with an illness brought me closer to Jesus Christ and the understanding of the pain he suffered for me personally and a greater understanding of the extreme love he has for me as his sister. With my illness I experienced many spiritual things that are sacred to me,I know these where blessings I recieved from many prayers by many people on my behalf and Priesthood Blessings from serveral worthy Priesthood holders including my husband and father. During this time my testimony was greatly strenthened. I know that Our Heavenly Father loves me and knows me personally I testify that he carried and held me in his arms many of my sickest days, if not all of them.
    I guess I share this because I want you to know that I know you are going through a similar experience and I know that you are now in the arms of our Heavenly Father and he Loves you and will bless you, and your family also. I know that sometimes he will be there for you to lean on, sometimes he will be there to hold you, and sometimes he will be there to carry you.
    I don't know why, but I felt I needed to share.
    I love you, Jenna loves you and our love and prayers are with you ALWAYS.
    Love, Chris Fuller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to what Chris shared. As far as eating goes...my oncologist wisely told me, if it sounds good, eat it whether it's healthy or not. What matters most is just getting something in you to gain strength from. One day all I had was layered bean dip and chips! I still remember how good it tasted at the time. Avoiding strong- smelling foods helped too. Good luck, rest, rest, rest!
    Loves & hugs, Diane S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, when Jordan broke his jaw, I tried to find something he could drink that had some nutrition as well. I made him peanut butter and banana milkshakes. To this day, it is a family favorite for all of us. Give it a try, if it doesn't "hit the spot" then I'm sure Vern will be happy to finish it for you. Another favorite of mine is "instant potatoes", with a little butter and salt. For some reason they always agree with a sour tummy. Thank you for taking the time to post on this blog, it is wonderful to know what to pray for. We love you over here in Casey Acres!! Jill Williams

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, I don't know what to say. Jen has been keeping me and the Weber faculty posted on your progress. From WSU there are many prayers and best wishes. From the Alexanders and Henrys all our love and prayers for you and your family. You are in my thoughts daily. You are a cherished friend and colleague. I have always admired your strength and faith and I know this will serve to guide you and Vern on this incredibly difficult journey. I pray for you daily.
    All my love Susan Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you . Hope that your appetite will be getting better each day. You are in our prayers. Love, Rick and Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim,
    We are thinking about you and praying for you to get stronger each day. Know that our love is with you. Love, LaMar and Tami

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim: Thank you for telling us what to pray for (you're not being greedy). We pray for you in general; but, it's nice to know what you need and want... specifically. We will absolutely pray for your appetite to return and for you to eat more easily. We sure love you and think of you often.

    Lisa, Ken, & Family

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm.....An egg salad sandwich does sound good! I hope you were able to eat one. WE ARE MISSING YOU KIM!! We are thinking about you tonight, and we want you to know that our thoughts and prayers are with you every day. We appreciate knowing what you need us to pray for and WE WILL. Keep up the good fight Kim and thank you so much for this blog. It's a wonderful way to communicate while you're recovering. We love you so much.
    Jack and Eileen Wendy and Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim, please don't feel greedy in asking for our prayers to be specific. You have hundreds of friends who feel so helpless and are overjoyed to be able to help in any way. I'm sure you're as excited as I am about Sweatband's first CD! Hopefully listening to it over and over will help you regain your strength--Love, B. ;)

    ReplyDelete