Kim's journey

Kim was diagnosed last Thursday, September 16, 2010 with ovarian cancer. As Kim's Family, Friends, Neighbors and Fans - we have started this blog to help share information, updates, support, and love with each other during her next few months of surgery, treatment and healing. We will try to update it whenever we receive information. Please feel free to leave a comment expressing your support, love, and encouragement anytime - as that is how we will all grow and strengthen each other - especially Kim and her family. We love you Kim, and our faith, prayers, and total support and dedication are with you as you embark on this "Journey"!







Friday, October 29, 2010

Weekend Update

Just a quick update--It's Friday evening and all is well. My mom went home on Wednesday morning, for what was supposed to be a week's break--it lasted for less than 24 hours. I woke up yesterday morning at 2 am with a fever, chills and body aches. I was so miserable that I called her at 8:30am bawling for her to come back. Seems I just happened to pick up some "bug" floating around, and fortunately, it seems to be the 24-hour kind. I'd just started taking a pretty strong antibiotic for something else on Wednesday, so that was just getting into my system and I've been doing well all day today. Mom went back home yesterday and took Braedon & Hunter to my sister's last night for a sleepover, so it's been fairly quiet around here today. Today I've felt halfway normal. I even washed a few (maybe 8!) dishes and actually walked out to my mailbox today and back--Wow! Now I'm really moving! The progress has seemed very slow to me--it's felt like 2 steps forward and 1 back--but today I've actually felt that I've made some progress. I'm looking forward to having one more week before my next chemo to gain more strength and get up and about a bit more. I ran across a quote in a book Wednesday that I've been pondering on. As members of the LDS Church, most of us are familiar with the saying, "Where much is given, much is required." But the quote I found says, "Where much is required, much is given." This has certainly resonated with me, as I've had a few "pity" parties the last month, and I've been unhappy with what has been "required" of me. But I cannot deny that though much has been required, much has been given to me and my family. Our Heavenly Father & Savior have certainly blessed our lives--especially these last few weeks. I ask myself frequently if I am learning what I'm supposed to be learning from this whole experience. I certainly hope that I will be more sensitive to the needs of others in the future. I think unless you've been in a similar situation, you cannot understand how each and every small thought and gesture of kindness, along with prayer, helps lift the spirits of those that are suffering. I love you all and so appreciate your prayers and compassion.--Love always, Kim

5 comments:

  1. We're continuing to pray for you daily!! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with so many of us, I am uplifted by your words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you! This quote from Jeffrey Holland made me think of you--"I testify of angels, both the heavenly and the mortal kind. In doing so I am testifying that God never leaves us alone, never leaves us unaided in the challenges that we face. 'Nor will he, so long as time shall last, or the earth shall stand, or there shall be one man [or woman or child] upon the face thereof to be saved' (Moroni 7:36). On occasions, global or personal, we may feel we are distanced from God, shut out from heaven, lost, alone in dark and dreary places. Even then, the Father of us all is watching and assisting. And always there are those angels who come and go all around us, seen and unseen, known and unknown, mortal and immortal."
    YOU ARE NEVER ALONE. Love you SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quote Sherry. We can always count on Elder Holland to lift our spirits.

    I've watched so many great people go through very difficult times. Without fail, when they've turned to God, they come away stronger.

    On a personal note, one of my fondest and poignant memories took place 10 years ago. I felt my world was literally falling apart around me. I was struggling to keep my head, no, just my mouth above water. When I literally felt I had done all I could and still I was watching our lives slip away from me, I let go. It's hard to describe that moment. I simply gave up. I couldn't do it anymore. I had nothing left. It was at that very moment, I felt a peace that surpasses all my understanding. I felt God closer than I ever had. My desperation turned to gratitude. I wanted the feeling to stay forever. I felt cocooned in the arms of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I have those crazy moments, the first thing that always pops into my mind is the wonderful hymn, "Count your many blessings". It never ceases to amaze me how blessed we all are even in difficult and hard times. Love, Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim,
    Just a quick note to let you know that we are thinking of you and your family, and know that you are kept in our prayers. I hope that this next round of chemo goes better than the last one. You really have a great attitude and that helps tons!! Love Ya Barbara and Grant

    ReplyDelete